The International Development Committee will hold its second evidence on Tuesday 26 March 2013 on Global Food Security.
Witnesses and venue
Committee Room 5, Palace of Westminster
- Ertharin Cousin, Executive Director,UN World Food Programme
- Dan Gustafson, Deputy Director General (Operations) Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO)
- Marc van Ameringen, Executive Director Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
- Sir John Beddington, Government Chief Scientific Adviser, Government Office for Science
- Kanayo Nwanze, President, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Dr Shenggen Fan, Director, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Purpose of the session
This is the second evidence session for the Committee's inquiry on Global Food Security. With the G8 event on malnutrition fast approaching, and the NGO campaign on hunger also ongoing, this session is an opportunity for the Committee to explore some of the broader strategic issues relating to food security, and to examine the respective roles of various key Institutions.
The first panel includes representatives of the World Food Programme (WFP), Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) and the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN).
The second panel includes the UK Government's Chief Scientific Adviser, Sir John Beddington, together with the heads of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)