Following on from a successful Committee visit to Afghanistan last week this is the first formal evidence session for the Committee's inquiry into Afghanistan.
Tuesday 3 July 2012, Committee Room 5, Palace of Westminster
- Dr Stuart Gordon, London School of Economics
- Gerard Russell, Afghanistan analyst
- David Loyn, BBC Afghanistan and Development Correspondent
- Orzala Ashraf, Independent Civil Society Activist
- David Page, Afghanaid
- Mervyn Lee, Mercy Corps
- Howard Mollett, CARE International
Purpose of the Session
The Committee wishes to examine further the issues it learnt about on the visit and from the written submissions it has received. The evidence session will comprise of two panels – the first to discuss the more strategic overview of DFID in Afghanistan including the security and political situation and in particular the risks post 2014. Discussions with the second panel, made up of NGOs with a presence in Afghanistan, will be more concentrated on specific themes of DFID's programmes there.