The first oral evidence session for the inquiry will be on Tuesday 6 November at 2.30 pm, when the witness will be Simon Fraser CMG, Permanent Under-Secretary of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
The starting point for questioning will be the 2011-12 Annual Report and Accounts of the FCO, although the Committee plans to concentrate on the following themes:
- The FCO’s “Diplomatic Excellence” programme, and associated arrangements for the training, promotion and deployment of staff;
- the FCO’s aim of becoming the best Diplomatic Service in the world by 2015, and how that might be measured;
- Results so far of the FCO’s increased emphasis on trade and investment promotion and on commercial interests; and
- The reshaping of the FCO’s network of overseas posts.
Submitting written evidence
Written submissions on the FCO’s Annual Report and on the themes listed above are invited and should be received by the Committee no later than Tuesday 30 October 2012.
Form of written evidence:
Submissions should be no longer than 3,000 words. The main body of any submission should use numbered paragraphs. Each submission should contain:
- a short summary, perhaps in bullet point form;
- a brief introduction about the person or organisation submitting evidence, perhaps explaining their area of expertise or experience;
- any factual information from which the Committee might be able to draw conclusions, or which could be put to other witnesses; and
- any recommendations for action by the Government or others which the submitter would like the Committee to consider for inclusion in its report to the House.
Submissions should be in MS Word format with as little use of colour and logos as possible.
View further information on submitting evidence.
Submissions should be sent as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org and the email entitled “The FCO’s performance and finances in 2011-12”.
Paper copies may be sent to Foreign Affairs Committee, Committee Office, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA.
Please contact Kenneth Fox, Clerk of the Committee, on 020 7219 3278 or by email to email@example.com.
Members of the press with enquiries should contact Alex Paterson, Select Committee Media Officer, on 020 7219 1589 or 07917 488488, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org