Following the discovery of horsemeat and traces of pig in a number of supermarket beef products, the Environment Food and Rural Affairs Committee will take evidence on 30 January 2013 at 2.45pm.
Wednesday 30 January
Location: Committee Room 15, Palace of Westminster.
At 2.45 pm – Food Standards Agency
- The Rt Hon Lord Jeff Rooker, Chair
- Catherine Brown, Chief Executive
At 3:30 pm – Retailers: Tesco and Iceland
- Trish Twohig, Technical Manager, Iceland
- Tim Smith, Technical Director, Tesco
At 4:15 pm – Government
- David Heath MP, Minister of State for Agriculture and Food, Defra
- Anna Soubry MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Health
- Steve Wearne, Director, Food Standards Agency Wales
The session will explore a range of issues, including:
- The effectiveness of traceability;
- Labelling and hygiene standards in the food supply chain and the role of government, food processors and retailers;
- Responsibility for food safety and port entry controls of meat imports.