The Education Select Committee holds it's second oral evidence session into child protection, focusing on how concerns about child protection are identified and then referred on to other agencies.
Wednesday 2 November 2011, Grimond Room, Portcullis House
- Dr Richard Quirk, Named GP Safeguarding Children, NHS West Sussex, NHS East Sussex Downs and Weald, and NHS Hastings and Rother
- Emma Grove Headteacher/Assistant Head, George Green’s School, Tower Hamlets
- Theresa Lane, Headteacher, Rachel McMillan Nursery School and Children’s Centre, Deptford
- Sue Minto, Head of ChildLine
- John Cameron, Head of NSPCC Adult helpline
- Joe Ferns, Director of Research, Development and Operations, The Samaritans
Purpose of the session
This is the second session in the Committee’s inquiry into the child protection system. The aim of today’s session is to explore how concerns about child protection are identified and then referred on to other agencies.
The first panel is composed of front-line professionals in universal services—health, education and early years—with individual and/or local responsibility for child protection. The second panel is made up of the major national helplines offering support to children at risk of abuse.
Terms of reference
Terms of reference for the inquiry can be found on the Committee’s website