Wednesday 7 December 2011, Grimond Room, Portcullis House
• Professor Sir Robert Burgess, Chair, Teacher Education Advisory Group
• James Noble-Rogers, Executive Director, Universities’ Council for the Education of Teachers (UCET)
• Dr Jacquie Nunn, Policy and Liaison Officer, UCET
At approximately 10.20am
• Christine Blower, General Secretary, NUT
• Dr Mary Bousted, General Secretary, ATL
• Chris Keates, General Secretary, NASUWT
• Malcolm Trobe, Deputy General Secretary (Policy), ASCL
Purpose of the session
Continuing its inquiry into the training, recruitment and retention of outstanding teachers, the Committee will consider further the perspective of universities and teachers. In the first panel, members will hear from organisations which represent higher education institutions providing teacher training—the UCET and the TEAG.
Following that session, the Committee will take evidence from the four teacher and school leader unions which submitted written evidence to the inquiry. Both panels will focus on changes to Government policy around teacher training and supply, and the evidence base for those changes, as well as a number of specific issues raised by witnesses’ own written evidence to the inquiry.