Continuing its Inquiry into Operations in Afghanistan, this Defence Committee evidence session is primarily focused on strategic communications - winning the consent of the people of Afghanistan and the UK population.
The session will be held on Tuesday 26 October at 2:30pm in the Grimmond Room, Portcullis House.
- Major General Gordon Messenger DSO and Bar OBE ADC, Strategic Communications Officer, MoD
- Nick Gurr, Director Media and Communications, MoD
- Commander Stephen Tatham, formerly of the Defence Academy’s Advanced Research and Assessment Group, MoD
- Matt Tee, Permanent Secretary for Government Communications, Cabinet Office
- Colonel (Rtd) Christopher Langton
The UK’s current Afghanistan Communications Strategy, approved by the previous government in October 2009 and now in the process of being revised, sets four communications objectives to:
- increase UK public support for the mission in Afghanistan;
- improve the capacity of the Afghan government and media to communicate with the Afghan public, and vice versa;
- maintain and demonstrate the unity of the international coalition; and to
- increase understanding of the links between the Afghanistan mission and counter terrorism in Pakistan as part of a regional strategy.