The Committee will consider its inquiry into Towards the Next Defence and Security Review: Part Two.
At 2.30 pm, Wednesday 7 May 2014, Committee Room 8, House of Commons Committee Corridor
- Professor Sir Hew Strachan, All Souls College, Oxford
- James de Waal, Senior Consulting Fellow, International Security Department, Chatham House
This is the first session for this inquiry.
The inquiry was announced on 21 March 2014. It will address the Government’s response to the Committee’s report into Towards the Next Defence and Security Review: Part One which was published on 25 March 2014 and will also investigate the following topics:
- What is the role of the UK’s strategic alliances and military partnerships in delivering security?
- What are the implications of the changing strategic context for the capability that we require from the Armed Forces?
- What role does a global military presence have in supporting the UK’s strategic objectives?
- What role should the military play in enhancing national resilience and providing assistance to civil authorities?
- What steps should be taken to improve the connection between the Armed Forces and society at large?