The Culture, Media and Sport Committee is today launching a new inquiry into Spectrum.
Terms of reference
The Committee will be inviting written submissions and requesting views on the following issues:
- Whether the proposed method of spectrum allocation promotes, or hinders, competition in the provision of mobile broadband services;
- whether the upcoming auction can provide value for money for tax payers and how that should be balanced with benefits for consumers;
- the potential for next generation mobile internet services offered by the forthcoming availability of spectrum;
- whether the upcoming auction can deliver improved mobile broadband coverage in rural areas, as well as cities;
- whether licence fees for mobile operators have previously been set at appropriate levels, and how this should be assessed;
- how the position of the UK compares with other countries, with regards to the allocation and utilisation of mobile broadband spectrum;
- the possible impact on alternative uses for spectrum.
How to respond
The Committee is inviting written submissions on the above and other matters relevant to the inquiry. A copy of the submission should be sent by e-mail to [email protected] and have ‘Spectrum’ in the subject line. Submissions should be received by Tuesday 7 June 2011.