The Business, Innovation and Skills Committee conducted an inquiry into the Government's Open Access Policy looking at a range of topics including:
- The Government’s acceptance of the recommendations of the Finch Group Report ‘Accessibility, sustainability, excellence: how to expand access to research publications’, including its preference for the ‘gold’ over the ‘green’ open access model;
- Rights of use and re-use in relation to open access research publications, including the implications of Creative Commons ‘CC-BY’ licences;
- The costs of article processing charges (APCs) and the implications for research funding and for the taxpayer; and
- The level of ‘gold’ open access uptake in the rest of the world versus the UK, and the ability of UK higher education institutions to remain competitive.
- Open Access: further information including oral and written evidence