Following its public meeting on Tuesday 2 July, the Backbench Business Committee has determined the backbench business for Thursday 11 July.
Thursday 11 July in the Chamber
- Debate on a motion relating to Parliamentary consent to arming of anti-government forces in Syria. (Member in charge: John Baron)
- General debate relating to the 25th anniversary of the Piper Alpha disaster (Members in charge: Frank Doran, Peter Aldous) (debate previously announced). The 25th anniversary of the Piper Alpha disaster falls on the 6 July 2013.
Thursday 11 July in Westminster Hall
- General debate on Social Care Reform for Working Age Disabled People (Members in charge: David Ward and Heather Wheeler) (previously announced)
- General debate on large scale solar arrays (Member in charge: Sarah Wollaston)
Representations received at the public meeting on Tuesday 2 July
At its public meeting on Tuesday 2 July the Committee also heard, in addition to bids from Sarah Wollaston and John Baron, representations from:
- Yasmin Qureshi, Kelvin Hopkins, and Rehman Chisthi for a debate relating to hormone pregnancy test drugs: Primodos
- Caroline Lucas for a debate on UK shale gas development
- Richard Ottaway for a debate on Syria
Parliament TV:Backbench Business Committee 2 July 2013
Backbench Business Committee
The Backbench Business Committee meets weekly on Tuesdays at 3pm to consider requests for debates from any backbench Members of Parliament on any subject, including those raised in e-petitions or national campaigns.
An MP must make a representation before the Committee for an e-petition or petition to be debated; e-petitions exceeding the Government's 100,000 signature threshold are not automatically allocated backbench time.
The Committee then has to decide how to allocate the limited Parliamentary time it has at its disposal. The Committee's meetings are always conducted in public and can be watched on Parliament TV.