Following its public meeting on 4 March, the Backbench Business Committee has scheduled Backbench debates for Tuesday 11, Thursday 13 March.
The Committee has determined that the following business will take place in backbench time:
Tuesday 11 March in the Chamber
- General debate on treating and preventing cancer (Member in charge: Pauline Latham)
Thursday 13 March in the Chamber
- Select Committee Statement on the publication of the Sixth Report from the Communities and Local Government Committee, on Local government procurement, HC 712 (Statement: Mr Clive Betts, Chair of CLG Committee)
- Debate on a motion relating to the badger cull (Member in charge: Mrs Anne Main)
Thursday 13 March in Westminster Hall
- General debate relating to Commonwealth Day (Member in charge: Sir Alan Haselhurst)
Bids for debate received on 4 March meeting
At its public meeting on Tuesday 4 March, the Committee heard, in addition to the representations from Pauline Latham and Sir Alan Haselhurst, representations from the following:
- Mark Durkan, Margaret Ritchie, Lady Sylvia Hermon, Jim Shannon, Rev William McCrea, Mr Laurence Robertson for a debate relating to the background and implications of the High Court judgment on John Downey. The Committee agreed in principle to a debate on this subject. A date for this debate will be confirmed at a future meeting of the Committee.
Backbench Business Committee – meeting time
The next meeting of the Backbench Business Committee will take place at 1pm on Tuesday 11 March.
Image: Parliamentary copyright