The original language of the Journal of the House of Lords had been Latin but English was increasingly used after the mid 16th century. Until 1886 Norman-French was also used for entries concerning Receivers and Triers of Petitions. In 2003 the Clerk of the Parliaments made the decision to completely omit Latin entries from the Journal with effect from the beginning of the 2003-2004 Parliamentary session.
Page 1: 20 November 2003 was the final sitting day of the 2002-2003 Parliamentary session and the final day that Latin was used in the Journal. By this time Latin was only used to describe the sitting day and the date and the list of members present.
Find out more about the Parliamentary Archives
Find out about the early records of Parliament