This page highlights some further resources on the history of the UK Parliament's relationship with the European Union.
It lists some books and journal that may be of interest and also links to material produced by the Commons Library, Lords Library and Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology.
UK-EU referendum 2016
Books and journals
History of the EU
- The European Union since 1945. By Alasdair Blair. 2nd ed. 164 p. Seminar studies in history. Pearson Education. 2010.
- The origins and development of the European Union 1945-2008: a history of European integration. By Martin J Dedman. 2nd ed. 204 p. Routledge. 2009
Constitution and workings of the EU
- European Union: how does it work? By Elizabeth Bomberg et al. 3rd ed. 275 p. New European Union series Oxford University Press. 2012.
- The government and politics of the European Union. By Neill Nugent. 7th ed. 486 p. The European Union series. Palgrave Macmillan. 2010
- Understanding the European Union: a concise introduction. By John McCormick. 5th ed. 247 p. The European Union series. Palgrave Macmillan. 2011.
Britain’s relationship with the EU
- John McCormick, ’Why Europe matters for Britain: the case for remaining in the European Union’, 18 January 2016
- David Charter, ‘Europe: in or out? Everything you need to know’, 2016
- David Owen, ‘The UK's in-out referendum: EU foreign and defence policy reform’, 9 December 2015
- Alina Bargaoanu et al (eds), ‘United by or against Euroscepticism? An assessment of public attitudes towards Europe in the context of the crisis’, 1 November 2015
- James Ellison and Robert Saunders, ‘Britain and Europe: a biography’, 2 October 2015
- Andrew Tyrie, ‘Ending the ratchet: from ever closer union to a two-way street’, September 2015
- Roger Bootle, ‘The trouble with Europe: why the EU isn't working, how it can be reformed, what could take its place’, 9 April 2015
- Brian Binley and Lee Rotherham, ‘Hard bargains or weak compromises: reforming Britain's relationship with the EU’, 2 March 2015
- Ralph Buckle et al, ‘Brexit: directions for Britain outside the EU’, 16 February 2015
- Denis Macshane, ‘Brexit: how Britain will leave Europe’, 1 January 2015
- Michael Emerson (ed), ‘Britain's future in Europe: reform, renegotiation, repatriation or secession?’, 1 January 2015
- Should Britain leave the EU: an economic analysis of a troubled relationship - Patrick Minford (2015)
- Britain and the EU: a solution - Daniel Hannan (13 December 2014)
- With friends like these: why Britain should leave the EU, and how - David Conway (August 2014)
- Demise of the free state: why British democracy and the EU don't mix - David Green (14 April 2014)
- In/out question: why Britain should stay in the EU and fight to make it better - Hugo Dixon (14 March 2014)
- Renegotiation, reform and referendum: does Britain have an EU future? - Adam Hug (February 2014)
- Europe dilemma: Britain and the drama of EU integration - Roger Liddle (30 January 2014)
Topic based pages
Page last updated April 2016