Norman Shaw South
Architect: Richard Norman Shaw with assistance from J. Dixon Butler. Designed: from 1896. Date: 1902-06. Listed Grade II*.
The neighbouring building, Norman Shaw South, designed by Shaw between 1896 and 1898 was originally known as ‘Scotland House’ and provided offices for the Metropolitan Police Receiver, the chief financial officer of the Metropolitan Police. The building was constructed between 1905 and 1907 under the supervision of John Dixon Butler, Surveyor to the Metropolitan Police, who also assisted Shaw with the design of Canon Row Police Station standing immediately to the west, now No. 1, Canon Row (1898-1902). Foundations were necessary to support the corner of Norman Shaw South above the tunnel of the District Railway, and these were carried out by the civil engineer Sir John Wolfe Barry, the youngest son of Sir Charles Barry, the architect of the Palace of Westminster. The Clerk had his own special entrance opening on to The Embankment.
Architect of iron gates to The Embankment: Reginald Blomfield. Made: 1894; date erected: 1904. Listed Grade II*
Reginald Blomfield designed the gates to The Embankment dating from 1896; maker Thomas Elsley & Co., London (erected 1904; Grade II*).
A long single storey block with a chimney provided laundry accommodation to the west of Norman Shaw North – known as The Bungalow - whilst another single storey annexe with a glazed roof supported by cast iron columns was attached to the rear wall of the main building. The laundry was demolished in about 1975, and the annexe in about 1985 for the new entry road into the basement car park of the Department of Health. Formerly part of New Scotland Yard.