The Historic Furniture and Decorative Arts collection is cared for by an on-site team of expert staff. We look after almost 11,000 items of historic furniture, clocks, silver and ceramics across the Parliamentary Estate.
The collection is mainly made up of items designed in the gothic revival style by AWN Pugin for the rebuilding of the new Palace of Westminster after the fire of 1835. There is also a large collection of items designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott for the House of Commons in 1950 after the Second World War bombings.
The collection is a working one and many pieces are used daily in offices, restaurants and in the Chambers of both houses. The Historic Furniture and Decorative Arts team works hard to research and conserve the collection so that it can be enjoyed now and in the future.
Many items from the collection can be viewed by visitors on tours along the visitor route.